What is the Gas Safe Register?
The Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for the UK, Isle of Man and Guernsey.
From the 1st of April 2009 in Great Britain and the Isle of Man, NI and Guernsey from the 1stApril 2010, Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body.
What type of work can a Gas Safe Engineer carry out?
Gas Safe Registered engineers are registered to work safely and legally on boilers. Cookers, fires and other gas appliances. Gas work includes;
- Installing, repairing or servicing a gas boiler
- Installing or repairing a gas fire, gas cooker or hob
What does the Gas Safe Register do?
They focus on improving and maintaining gas safety to the highest standards. They monitor 123,000 gas engineers on their Register to make ensure they are qualified to work on gas appliances.
- They protect the public from unsafe gas work through
- Dedicated national investigations team tracking down individuals working illegally.
- They regular inspections of Gas Safe registered engineers.
- Educated consumers and raising awareness of gas safety
Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services Limited, and division of Capita Plc run the Gas Safe Register.
How can you check the Gas Safe ID card?
Before you let a gas engineer work on your appliances make sure you check to front and back of their Gas Safe ID card.
Check the front of the card for:
- The photo
- The start date and expiry date
- The license number
- The security hologram
- Check to back of the card to make sure:
- The engineer is qualified to do the gas work you want him to do e.g. cooker, boiler and gas fire
- Their qualifications are up to date
If you are unsure and want to check the engineer is Gas Safe Registered then call The Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or by texting “Gas” then the engineers license number to 85080.
Why should I use a Gas Safe Registered engineer?
Having someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry our a repair on your faulty gas appliance, boiler repair for examples, is a safety risk to your family and property. A Badly fitted and poorly services gas appliance can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.