Navigation Menu

What is a CP12 gas safety certificate?

As a landlord you are legally required to have all gas appliances in the property you let checked every 12 months.

Who needs a CP 12 gas safety certificate?

One is required for each property you let, situations include:

  • Renting of a residential property
  • Renting of rooms within a property, multi-occupancy
  • Renting of a single room, including and lodger or boarder

Please not that this is not a definitive list.

When do I need a CP12 gas safety certificate?

One is required every 12 months for each gas appliance within your property.

What appliances need a CP 12 gas safety certificate?

All gas appliances within the property will require a CP12 certificate

Do I need to supply my tenants a copy of the CP12?

Yes, within 28 days of issue or the start of their tenancy. You can either give them a paper based copy or digital version that thy get online.

Who can issue a CP12 gas safety certificate?

A technician registered with the Gas Safety Register can only issue these certificates.

What do they check?

They may check:

  • Check appliance for gas tightness
  • Check standing and working pressure
  • Check burner pressure / gas rate against manufacturer’s data plate.
  • Check for satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion.
  • Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure devices.
  • Check for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets
  • Investigate and evidence of unsafe operation and report to a responsible person