Navigation Menu

Landlord fined £17,000 over boiler safety

A Sheffield landlord has been fined £17,000 after endangering the lives of a family in one of her rented properties.

Sima Yaqub, of Crescent Road, Sheffield, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates Court to five offences under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998.

When the family moved into the property in City Road last July, Yaqub did not have a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record for the boiler.

She was also ordered to pay costs of £6,916.

The original boiler, in the home, had broken down a number of times, Yaqub replaced it with a used one installed by unregistered fitter, the magistrates heard.

The replacement was deemed as “immediately dangerous” when seen by a qualified engineer.

The Health and Safety Executive said landlords had “clear duties” to ensure the safety of their tenants.

HSE Inspector Denise Fotheringham said Yaqub had “shown a wilful and consistent disregard for the welfare and safety of the tenant and her family”.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *